Constructing a new house is a significant investment for most of us. Thus, it is necessary to do it right in the first time. Choosing a reliable custom home builder is one of the most important decisions to make. Here are some useful things you need to know before deciding.
What does a custom home builder do?
A reliable custom home builder should be is your advocate as well as a collaborative and integral member of your design team. They will work directly with you to help plant a realistic project budget, then monitor the costs and scope during the construction process. Some responsibilities include:
- Manage subcontractors during the design and construction project
- Plan and track all costs involved in the project
- Work with building inspectors, design team, and governing jurisdictions
- Manage and obtain all inspections, approvals, and occupancy certificate
When should you hire a custom home builder?
It is recommended to hire a custom home builder as early as possible in the designing process so that these professionals would support you in monitoring and controlling the costs of the project. Make sure to negotiate how they will be compensated up front and make use of the builder’s experience to solicit different bids from subcontractors and suppliers instead of bidding to multiple builders. In general, a custom home means that you should plant the budget carefully to get the best value.
How can you find reliable home builders?
If you’ve already hired a designer, then they might be the best resource to find your home builders. These design professionals often have existing relationships with reliable builders with first-hand experience and construction quality. Some other resources for your search include:
- Reputable realtors: They have experience in your local home market and can be a great source for home builders referrals.
- Local lenders: These professionals could provide valuable insights into builders and the history of their finishing projects on budget and on time.
- Internet searches: This is undoubtedly the simplest way to find out home builders in your neighbourhood and their sites. By taking a look at these official websites, you would have an overview of their quality and style, thus making an informed decision.
Last but not least, you would ask for references from your colleagues, family, or friends who have recently finished a custom home project.
What should you look for?
A good home builder doesn’t need to be a large organisation with a large budget and many employees. Instead, it needs to have the right organisation skills, communications skills, interest, financial resources, experience, and time to construct your new house. Here are eight important factors that you should consider when selecting Kookaburra Homes, Adelaide:
- A resume of previous and current projects
- A track record with other projects in similar detail and scale
- Communication abilities
- Client references
- Organisational skills.
- Specialise in speculative or custom homes
- Description and understanding of the workflow
- Time management skills